Sunday, 6 November 2016

November

We had to swim on Sunday this week. Another whole day to think about it. 

We went to Appletreewick to a wonderful pool I've swum in quite a few times before.  A place my husband's family used to go in their camper van for picnics and swimming and rushing down rapids in a rubber dinghy. 

In those days the farmer would open the gate, you'd put some money in the honesty box and could park next to the river. 

Those days are no longer ( maybe the result of the dreaded H and S and the litigious society we live in?). 

The upshot is that it is quieter even in the summer. And on rainy November days it is almost desolate. 

We saw only two walkers on the short fifteen minute walk along the dalesway after the swim. They probably looked as strange as us in a different way. This was obviously why they ignored our peculiar over layered appearance and just gave us a cheery "Good afternoon". 

Anyway going back to the swim. It was raining so we tried to cover our belongings up under a tree ( my sister asked me about ten times why I hadn't brought the tent). Then we got in. 

It was immediately obvious November did mean hardcore. The temperature had dropped. The turtle said 8 degrees which was a drop of about three degrees since last week. We didn't stay in long despite the beauty of the wide pool, deep water, tall trees, interesting rocks and the evocative rain falling into the water. 

Then the nightmare that is trying to get out and get your clothes on.  

My sister's crazy contribution of the week was a new dryrobe that she had made.  She's very creative and clever with a sewing machine. She'd brought the correct material and everything. She said it was a present for me but actually it was just a comedy item designed to make me look as comical as possible while I tried to get changed underneath it.  

Then she took it back off me because she was cold. 

We staggered back to the car and then had our posh pot noodles before driving home and hoping the euphoria would last for the week ahead. 

She's just texted me to say that she's laughed out loud twice during her dog walk just thinking about me getting changed in the homemade dry 
robe...............so maybe it's working. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment